Recipe by Dee514
A basic yellow layer cake recipe, suitable for birthday cakes, etc. This recipe makes two 9-inch layers or 2 dozen (standard sized) cupcakes (bake cupcakes 12 to 15 minutes until firm and golden).
Top Review by Fit Cook
This is the best cake I've ever made! I substituted buttermilk for the regular milk and frosted it using kittencals chocolate frosting and it was delicious. I made it for my DH's Bday and we had 25 people over to celebrate. It was a hit!!! I mused this recipe to make another cake for my daughters birthday and it turned out perfect. Today I used it to make cupcakes and another marvelous turnout. It makes extly 2 dozen cupcakes and took about 15 minutes in the oven!!! Definitely my go to cake recipe.
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Butter and flour the sides of two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Line each pan bottom with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit pan.
- Into a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together 3 times, and set aside.
- Using a mixer with the whisk attachment on medium speed, beat the butter until its light and fluffy (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Add sugar and beat until blended.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk (starting and ending with the flour), scraping the bowl as needed.
- Beat just until blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans, bake for 25 to 30 minutes (or until firm to the touch and golden).
- Remove from the oven, place pans on cooling racks and let cakes cool in the pans.
- Remove cooled layers from pans, remove parchment from bottoms and frost as desired.