1 hr 10 mins
A basic yellow layer cake recipe, suitable for birthday cakes, etc. This recipe makes two 9-inch layers or 2 dozen (standard sized) cupcakes (bake cupcakes 12 to 15 minutes until firm and golden).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 2Butter and flour the sides of two 9-inch round cake pans.
- 3Line each pan bottom with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit pan.
- 4Into a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together 3 times, and set aside.
- 5Using a mixer with the whisk attachment on medium speed, beat the butter until its light and fluffy (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- 6Add sugar and beat until blended.
- 7Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
- 8Beat in the vanilla extract.
- 9On low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk (starting and ending with the flour), scraping the bowl as needed.
- 10Beat just until blended.
- 11Pour the batter into the prepared pans, bake for 25 to 30 minutes (or until firm to the touch and golden).
- 12Remove from the oven, place pans on cooling racks and let cakes cool in the pans.
- 13Remove cooled layers from pans, remove parchment from bottoms and frost as desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Layer Cake (Vanilla)
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 640.4
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 157.0 mg
- Sodium 334.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 51.8 g
- Protein 8.5 g