Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Mom's recipe box. Her note says "Nana," but I'm not sure which of her grandmothers that refers to.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 7 fluid ounces milk (1 cup less 2 tbsp)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine milk and vanilla.
- In bowl of stand mixer, or using a hand mixer, cut in shortening. Add 2/3 of milk mixture, then eggs, then the rest of the milk. Beat 2 minutes.
- Butter and flour two 8" cake pans. Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake in preheated 375°F oven until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean, 20-30 minutes. Spin pans 180° and swap upper for lower rack after 15 minute.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans, then turn out and cool completely on cooling racks. Fill and frost with your favorite frosting.
This is a nice cake. It has nice flavor and is not too sweet or salty. I used butter instead of shortening and it worked out pretty well! I filled the cake with Danish - Prune Filling and then frosted it with Sour Cream Icing so this is a nice cake recipe when you want to create your own flavors!! Thanks Dr. Gaellon!