Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is supposed to be like the famous Prime Rib Houses creamed spinach. All I know is that it is very tasty.
- 6 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons season salt (Lawrys preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoned pepper (Lawrys preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon parsley
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, cooked and drained
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon until almost crisp.
- Add onion to bacon and cook until onion is tender about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add flour and seasonings; blend well.
- Gradually stir in milk; cook and stir over low heat until thickened.
- Add spinach and mix well.
- If too thick add more milk.
Wonderful recipe. I'm always looking for new uses for spinach. I also used fresh garlic and some nutmeg. This recipe is great with or without the bacon.
This was a good recipe for my favorite vegtable. I like to fix it all different ways and I will keep this as an option. I like another reviewers idea of the nutmeg.
Made this to go with steak tonight and both the husband and I liked it. I would use a bit less flour next time as I found it to be a bit too thick. Good taste though, and better after it sat in the fridge after I made it. We'll be eating it as leftovers for two more meals, and I bet the flavors will continue to improve!