Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the LA Times.
Make and share this Lawry's Coconut Banana Cream Pie (W/Coconut Crust) recipe from Food.com.
COCONUT PIE SHELL
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus more for pie plate
- 3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups half-and-half, divided
- yellow food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- To Make The Coconut Crust: Lightly butter a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- Melt the 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat and brown the coconut flakes, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. They should be golden brown. Press the coconut firmly and evenly in the pan to form a shell. Chill the crust 30 minutes before filling.
- For the Filling: Combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the sugar, the cornstarch, salt and flour in a small bowl. Gradually add 1 cup of the half-and-half.
- Combine the remaining 2 cups half-and-half and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a 3-quart saucepan and bring just to boil over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook and stir until the mixture returns to a boil and thickens, about 1 minute. (Do not taste then re-dip your spoon. I've read that enzymes in salvia breaks down the cornstarch and makes it watery, something like what happens with leftover babyfood.).
- Remove from the heat. Stir in 2 drops of food coloring and the vanilla. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool.
- Slice the bananas into the pie shell. Pour the filling into the shell.
- Whip the cream with the powdered sugar until stiff. Spoon in dollops or pipe with a pastry bag around the edge of the pie. Chill 2 hours before slicing.