Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got allot of these, I bought tons of recipe boxes from an auction recently, they are all on hand written index cards. NOTE: none of these have time or servings on them so I am guesstimating those.
- 8 lbs broiler-fryer chickens
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ounce sherry wine
- 1 dash Accent seasoning
- salt, to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh green peas
- Wash and pat dry chicken.
- Place the chicken in a large pot, cover with water and bring.
- to a boil.
- Simmer gently until chicken is tender.
- Remove from pot and set aside to cool.
- Add vegetables to brothand simmer.
- about 30 minutes. remove from heat.
- In a saucepan, melt butter, then beat in flour.
- Cook stock for 5 minutes, then add sherry and a pinch of Accent,
- salt to taste.
- While stock is cooking, remove skin from chicken and bones.
- set aside meat.
- I a large bowl add the flour, baking powder Cut in the shortening and mix until mixture looks like cornmeal.
- Stir in milk.
- Put about 1/2 inch of water in pan with a wire rack that stands 2 or 3 inches above the waterline.
- Cover rack with lightly oiled waxed paper, oiley side up.
- When water is boiling, gently drop.
- dumpling mixture from a tablespoon onto waxed paper, leaving room between dumplings for growth.
- Steam 8 minutes uncovered, then cover and steam about 7 more minutes.
- Place chicken in casserole.
- dish and lay dumplings on top. Cover with stock.