Witch Doctor's Note:
I picked this recipe up in the Ukraine. I modified it somewhat in my recipes but this is the original recipe. I usually add Almond extract to the Meringue layer, in the fillings I used Kirstvasser (gives a little cherry flavor, and Instead of the Chocolate icing I coated it with whipped cream and festooned Strawberries all over.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Meringue Layer
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar (Powered)
For the Walnut-Chocolate Layer
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 1 1/4 cups ground walnuts
- 1/4 cup unflavored fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon fine ground coffee (NOT instant)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
For the Fillings
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon rum extract
- 1 cup red currant preserves
For the Chocolate Icing
- 1The day before assembling the cake, make the meringue layers. Cut out two 11 inch circles from parchment or freezer paper; grease well with butter and sprinkle lightly with flour.
- 2Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Fold the rim of the baking circles slightly upward.
- 3In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of Tartar, and vinegar together until the whites hold a stiff peak. Add the superfine sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, beating until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- 4Gently fill each circle with half the meringue mixture, spreading evenly with a rubber spatula. Bake until the meringues are light golden and dry. About 1 hour.
- 5Invert the meringues onto a plate and peel off the parchment paper. Leave in a dry spot overnight.
- 6The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 10 inch spring form pan with parchment or freezer paper. Lightly butter the paper and sprinkle lightly with flour.
- 7To make the Walnut-chocolate layer:
- 8In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture is pale yellow and forms a ribbon when the beaters are lifted.
- 9With CLEAN, DRY beaters, beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold one-third of the whites into the beaten yolks, then fold in the rest, alternating with the grated chocolate and walnuts.
- 10Fold in the bread crumbs, coffee, and lemon juice.
- 11Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, another 20 to 25 minutes.
- 12When the cake cools off a little, remove the sides of the pan. Invert the cake and peel off the paper. Using a serrated knife, cut it horizontally into two layers.
- 13Whip the cream with the sugar, instant coffee, and rum extract until it holds stiff peaks.
- 14Place one of the walnut-chocolate layers, cut side up, on a cake platter and spread it with ½ cup of the red currant preserves and then with one-third of the coffee flavored cream.
- 15Top with one meringue layer. Spread another one-third of the cream on the meringue layer and top with the second meringue layer. Spread the rest of the cream filling on the meringue. Spread the remaining preserves over the remaining walnut-chocolate layer.
- 16Place the walnut-chocolate layer, preserves side down, on top of the cream filling. You should have the following layers, starting at the bottom: walnut-chocolate, preserves, cream, meringue, cream, meringue, cream, preserves, Walnut-chocolate.
- 17For the icing, melt the chocolate and shortening in the water in the top of a double boiler, over barely simmering water.
- 18Spread the top and sides of the cake with warm chocolate icing. Refrigerate the cake at least 1 hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lavish Chocolate Meringue Cake (Imposantniy Chokoliadovo Bilkovi
Serving Size: 1 (1910 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4308.6
- Calories from Fat 1985
- Total Fat 220.6 g
- Saturated Fat 81.0 g
- Cholesterol 2018.0 mg
- Sodium 1232.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 497.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 392.4 g
- Protein 93.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: