Recipe by That is Dr House to you
You are going to need a strong arm for this one or a whisk attachment to a stick blender.
- 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk or 2 1⁄2 cups plain rice milk or 2 1⁄2 cups plain soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lavender flowers or 2 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- If omitting the egg: Mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water or soy milk.
- In small pan over med heat steam the milk but do not boil. Turn off heat and stir in lavender, allow to steep for 20 minutes.
- Use a fine mesh strainer set over bowl strain the lavender out. Discard.
- Return milk to saucepan and bring to steaming again. Turn off heat.
- In small bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt. In sep bowl whisk egg and pour into cornstarch mixture whisking thoroughly. Slowly add 1/3 cup hot milk to this mix. whisk constantly. Add back inot hot milk in pan whisk constantly.
- Over med heat, cook custard, stirring constantly until mix thickens and begins to bubble. About 3 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Pour into custard cups. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate if serving more than 2 hours later.