Recipe by French Tart
A versatile and easy to make shortbread recipe with added lavender for an elegant and sophisticated taste. Serve these with strawberries or raspberries and lavender cream - for a delectable dessert or an afternoon tea treat! I sprinkle the tops of these shortbreads with my own lavender sugar recipe: French Lavender and Vanilla Sugar for Elegant Cakes and Bakes. These also make a wonderful gift - pack them between greaseproof paper and place them in an attractive box or a clear cellaphane bag with a bow.
Top Review by MarraMamba
Wonderful aromatic and special shortbread. I just wish i could do justice to it in the photo! glazed it with Recipe #257573 heated a little as i added dried rose petals along with fresh lavender.
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened
- 50 g caster sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 50 g rice flour
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- 10 drops lavender, cooking essence
- 1 pinch dried lavender flowers or 1 pinch fresh lavender flowers
- sugar, to sprinkle before baking
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the butter and sugar and lavender essence with an electric whisk until soft and creamy. Work in the flour and rice flour, lemon rind and lavender flowers.
- Press the mixture into a round 20cm/8 inch loose-based cake tin and sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake at 160C/320F/gas 3 for 30-35 minutes until light golden.
- Mark the shortbread into 12 wedges and then leave to cool in the tin.
- Remove very carefully and serve with fresh strawberries or raspberries and whipped lavender cream.