Recipe by *Alia*
A lovely lavender shortbread.
Top Review by TJ-Montana
"Lovely" is just the right description for these easy, delicious cookies! I used salted butter because it's what I had, and dried my tsp of mint (I had peppermint, rather than spearmint, in the garden) in the oven for 10 minutes or so - perfectly dried and crumbled easily. Definitely do follow the instructions and slice it up before it cools and hardens! Cleanup was a breeze, and I had to threaten my DH severely to keep him from GOBBLING them like they were some sort of plebian chocolate chip cookie or something!! (grin) This is a cookie to savor with a great cup of tea! Or two... or three...
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender blossoms
- 1 teaspoon dried spearmint, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsifted flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8-inch square baking pan by lining it with aluminum foil and coating the foil lightly with a vegetable oil spray.
- Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the sugar, lavender, spearmint and cinnamon.
- Work in the flour and blend until the mixture is crumbly.
- Scrape it into the prepared pan and spread until level, pressing lightly to compact it evenly.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges.
- Gently lift both the foil and shortbread out of the pan onto a cutting surface.
- Slice the bars with a serrated knife.
- transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in a tightly sealed tin.