Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is untried by me and comes from The Herb Quarterly, spring 2000 issue. I love lavender!! Cook time includes estimated chill time of 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cream together butter, sugar, lavender and mint with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, cornstarch and salt and beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough into two, flatten into discs, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
- Roll out dough to 1/2" thickness on a floured board.
- Cut into 1 1/2" squares or into rounds.
- Bake 20-25 minutes on parchment covered cookie sheets, or until golden.
- Let cookies cool on the sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- When completely cool, dust with lavender-flavored powdered sugar (see recipe Lavender Sugar#71901 or Flavored Sugars#53926) or plain powdered sugar would be fine.
Wonderful! I made them exactly as written with lavender and mint from my garden. I was worried that the mint would be overpowering, but you couldn't taste the mint at all - it just kept the lavender from being too strong. The texture on these was perfect, a delightful buttery, crumbly, crisp cookie. I wrapped my dough into logs and cut them into cookies instead of rolling them. Perfect!
These were out standing buttery yum and I loved the Lavender I will be making these repeatedly. I did make a small change because I did not want the mint to over power the Lavender and I was using dried mint so I only used a teaspoon and half. And they were delishâ€™. I combined the cookies with Lavender jelly #101138, Lavender sugar #71901, Lavender fudge #172465, a print out of the recipes and some chamomile tea for a special birthday gift last month.
This is a very easy cookie to make. Which I did in the food processor. I placed the butter and my Lavender Sugar With Vanilla #101039 in and processed. I skipped the mint. I wanted the delicate relaxing taste of lavender not the pick me up that mint gives. Processed till light and fluffy then add the remaining ingredients. Refrigerated and will cook in the morning. Will post results tomorrow. The pictures uploaded are first the butter and sugar mixture then the flour added and the disks before chilling. -- posted Nov 2, 2004 OK. It`s the next morning and I just sampled a cookie. It`s light, buttery, crisp, with a ever so light hint of lavender. I made them three different ways. I hand rolled into balls then pressed flat sprinkled on my Lavender Sugar With Vanilla #101039 before baking, second I rolled with a rolling pin and made these delish sandwich cookies filled with Lavender Jelly With Chamomile #101138, And for the third batch I made thumb prints which a filled with my lavender jelly same as above. If I had time I would have topped the cookies with my Lavender, Rose Icing #65210. Thanks for a beautiful shortbread cookie. It`s in my lavender cookbook. For all of you looking give it a try. So good!