Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
You can ice with my recipe for lavender icing! You all have just got to grow lavender! This is a cake that is on the dry side but very good if you want go ahead and pour some of this (OPTIONAL)syrup on it Moisten & Flavor the Cake With This Simple Syrup Moisten & Flavor the Cake With This Simple Syrup. You have your choice of flavors but I would go with the lavender!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped lavender flowers
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and lightly flour a 13x9x2" baking pan.
- In a mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time.
- On low speed, add cake flour alternately with milk.
- Beat in baking powder and vanilla.
- Beat in lavender flowers.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees, until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out on to a pretty platter and cool completely.
Cake had ggod texture but I think there could have been more lavender to provide a more distinct flavor. I made it at work, and customers liked it. I frosted it with lavnder colored frosting and sprinkled little frest blooms on top. Very pretty
I made this cake yesterday for a British expat friend leaving the kingdom after 26 years. Please bear in mind I am reviwing this cake with out tasting it. Whilst the cake was baking I had to steap out for a while and left my domestic maid in charge, Its a possibility she left it too long in the oven cuz it was abit dry and crumbly, it also cracked quite abit. I iced it with your lavender rose icing. I had asked my friend this morning what she though about the cake and her complain was too dry,but she loved the lavender taste and it was just right for her. I will try this cake again for myself, when i do I will review it again
Wow! I've always known you could eat the flowers, but never have tried it. This was awesome, Rita! I didn't have any red food coloring so I just made it plain with the flowers and appeared to be just fine in the presentation department. Wonderful flavor.