Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the first recipe I've come across with lavender and lime in combination. From jardindusoleil.com. Refreshing!
- 6 cups water
- 1 3⁄4 cups superfine sugar (read *NOTE)
- 1⁄4 cup dried lavender or 1⁄4 cup fresh lavender flowers
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 8 limes)
- lime slice, thinly cut
- lavender flowers
- *NOTE: To make your own superfine sugar, place the granulated sugar in a blender and whirl until the grains are very small but not powdery.
- SIMPLE SYRUP: In a 2 quart saucepan, combine 2 cups water, superfine sugar, lavender and lime zest.
- Bring mixture to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Remove pan from heat and let syrup stand for 10 minutes. Strain and discard lavender.
- LIMEADE: In large pitcher, stir together the simple syrup, lime juice and the remaining 4 cups water.
- Serve over ice, with lime slice as a garnish.
- For presentation, float a sprig of lavender on top of each serving.
- Yield is estimated.
FABULOUS! We liked it as written but, on a whim, I added a shot of tequila one night and it was great. The following nights I tried rum and vodka and it worked with them all! Even my husband, who is a staunch wine drinker, loved it and wanted his own drink. I think adding some mint along with rum would be very mojito-ish. This would be a wonderful base mix when entertaining as people could add the liquor of their choice...
Now that the heat wave is over, my lavender decided to give blooming another shot, so I gave this a try and I'm glad I did! I didn't quite have enough lavender, so the flavor was *very* subtle, but DH and I both loved it. I did cut back the amount of sugar because I like my limeade pretty "tarty", but DH said it could stand a tiny bit more sugar next time. I guess I will have to find that happy medium! Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe, Cookgirl, this will be making a regular appearance at my summer parties!
i love it but think it would be very successful with less sugar. I could be wrong, too. Excellent flavors & very easy. I used my microwave! made for veggie swap 7/10. :)