Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A favorite spring and summertime drink of mine, using fresh or dried lavender and lemons from the garden. Wonderfully refreshing! May be served cold over ice, or hot with honey. Adapted from "The Ultimate Liquor-Free Drink Guide" by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
- 946.36 ml water (divided use)
- 59.14 ml organic fresh edible lavender, well rinsed (or 1-2 tablespoons dried lavender)
- 1 fresh lemon, zest of
- 236.59 ml fresh lemon juice
- 236.59 ml sugar (preferably superfine)
- lemon slice, to garnish
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add the lavender and lemon zest; cover and steep for 1 hour.
- Strain the lavender mixture into a 2-quart or larger pitcher. Add lemon juice, sugar and remaining 3 cups water; stir until sugar dissolves.
- Serve in tall, ice-filled glasses, garnished with lemon slices (or serve hot with honey, as you wish). Top up with additional water, if desired, or to taste.
Made this for company and recieved sooo many compliments. The smell alone makes it a 5 star. I did make one change - instead of fresh lemon juice (was out of lemons) I used one package of lite lemonade, then followed the rest of the directions using some wonderful loose tea and 1 tablespoon of lavender buds. With the lemonade didn't need to add any sugar and the taste was perfect for us. Made for "Bite into something Sweet"
I can't imagine giving this less than 5 stars. Wonderfully refreshing with a hint of lavender. . .I loved the smell and the taste. I just downed 1 glass and I'm going back for more right now!!! Made for The Magic of Herbs.
I also made this using only 1 tablespoon of dried lavender as suggested by another reviewer. What a delicious beverage! I only had 3/4 cup of lemon juice so I winged it by adding a little bit of fresh orange juice and fresh lime juice. Added a few fresh mint leaves and a sprig of fresh lavender from the garden. Luckily I didn't have to run to the store to purchase canned lemonade concentrate to prepare this! Served the lemonade today with an easy summertime Greek meal. Thank you BecR for posting this refreshing beverage recipe! Highly recommend!