Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Light and elegant cupcakes with a hint of lemon and lavender in the cupcake and the light, fluffy frosting. They are uniquely different and perfect for baby showers or wedding showers. This recipe also happens to be vegan, however you'd never know it. I don't tell anyone they're vegan, except for my vegan friends so they know they can eat them! You could definitely make them using regular butter, etc. I don't, because my brain is then tricked into thinking I'm eating healthy. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup dried lavender flowers
- 2 -4 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pre-steeped lavender water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 sticks earth balance vegan butter, softened but not warm
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Place the dried lavender flowers in a small bowl or custard dish. Start with 2 Tbs of boiling water to cover them. Add more if needed to just cover the flowers. Steep 10-20 minutes or until the water is purplish-gray. Strain the flowers, keep the water. Set this aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray/line muffin pan.
- Combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar together with a fork or a whisk. You may notice some curdling, this is ok.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, corn starch, baking power, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, mix the oil, sugar, vanilla and lemon and 2 Tbs of the lavender water.
- Add the almond milk/vinegar mixture to the oil/ sugar mixture, and mix well.
- Sift in the dry mixture and beat until smooth.
- Fill lined/sprayed muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from pan when done and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting Instructions:.
- Beat the Earth Balance spread until soft and creamy. Add in lavender water, lemon juice, almond milk and powdered sugar.
- Add more powered sugar or almond milk as necessary to create a creamy texture that can be piped onto cupcakes.
- Place frosting in a pastry bag with decorating tip. You can also use a quart-sized Ziploc bag with a small hole clipped in the lower corner to pipe the frosting onto your cupcakes.
- Voila! You can pretty them up even farther by sprinkling them with sugars, leftover dried lavender flowers, a drizzle of honey or agave syrup, etc.