Recipe by Rita~
What a beautiful gift! Having trouble sleeping give this a try. Add to a cup of tea, glass of ice tea, lemonade, sauces, salad dressing, glaze a chicken or salmon, top a fruit tart, or spread on a scone for a delicate sweet flavor. Sweeten a vodka martini with a touch of this and garnish with fresh lavender. Take note: 2 minutes - soft gel which would make this great for easy dissolving into ice teas lemonades.... 4 minutes - medium gel for spreading on anything you desire.
Top Review by Saeriu
I made this last night at the request of a friend who purchased lavender just for this recipe. She gave me 1/3c of lavender flowers and after reading some of the reviews with regard to lemon juice, I decided to use all of the lemon juice listed and use 1/3c of the lavender. The flavor is excellent and amazing and it set up perfectly. I've never had anything like this before. I felt very sophisticated and elegant this morning eating this jelly on my English muffin. I think this jelly would be wonderful on lemon grilled chicken, lemon scones, or even raspberry sorbert. I used 4 drops of purple food coloring and the color is like a blush wine color--very pretty. I am so glad to have tried this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing; I am planning on growing my own lavender this summer just for this recipe!
- 1⁄4 cup dried lavender blossoms (buds, the flowers before they open)
- 1 chamomile tea bag (optional)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 lemon (1/4 cup)
- 3 -5 drops purple food coloring (optional)
- 3 ounces liquid pectin
Directions See How It's Made
- Sterilize jars and keep them hot.
- Pour boiling water over lavender and let steep for 15 minutes add tea bag for five. If not adding chamomile steep lavender for full 20 minutes.
- Strain tea into saucepan.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups additional water, sugar, lemon juice and coloring.
- Heat to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in pectin and return to a boil.
- Boil hard for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and skim off foam.
- I add back a couple of lavender buds.
- Just so you can see them in the jar.
- Pour into hot jars or glasses to 1/2 inch of tops.
- Wipe rims with a sterile cloth.
- Screw on tops.
- Place in a water bath for 10 minutes.
- Let sit in pot 5 more minutes with flame off.
- Remove and place in a draft free spot with out tilting.