Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A delicate ice cream, gently infused with the scent of fresh lavender flowers and tinged a pretty lavender color. Very simple to make, with a classic custard base enriched with cream. Lovely with crisp cookies or a slice of pound cake. Enjoy! Notes: Ensure that the flowers have not been sprayed. Cook time includes freezer time.
- 4 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 8 fresh heads lavender flowers
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolk and sugar together until light and foamy.
- Gently heat the milk and lavender flowers (and vanilla if using) in a pan over medium heat. Bring just to the boil, then strain into the egg yolk mixture.
- Return mixture to the stove and cook over a very low heat (do not let it boil or it will curdle), stirring constantly, until it is slightly thickened and will coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the custard into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until completely cold.
- In a small mixing bowl that has been chilled, whip the cream just until it forms peaks; fold into the cold custard.
- Process in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions, or place into a freezer-proof container and store covered, in the freezer, for up to 2 months.
- Serve decorated with sprigs of lavender, and thin, crisp cookies.