Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
The Perfect Scoop
- 1⁄2 cup good-flavored honey
- 1⁄4 cup dried lavender flowers (organic) or 1⁄4 cup fresh lavender flowers (organic)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- In a small saucepan, heat the honey and 2 tablespoons of the lavender; once warm, remove from the heat and set aside to steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan.
- Pour the cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top.
- Pour the lavender-infused honey into the cream through the strainer, pressing on the lavender flowers to extract as much flavor as possible; discard the lavender and set the strainer back over the cream.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks; slowly pour the warm mixture (step 2 mixture) into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.
- Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream.
- Add in the remaining 2 tablespoons lavender flowers and stir until cool over an ice bath.
- Chill the mixture overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, before churning, strain the mixture, again pressing on the lavender flowers to extract their flavor.
- Discard the flowers, then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.