1/1 Photo of Lavender & Herb Poached Salmon
This recipe uses a French herb blend (herbes de Provence), which contains lavender. Adapted from a Penzey's recipe. I haven't tried this yet. The amount of sugar needed will vary with the type of wine you use - a sweeter wine will require less sugar. Very nice choice for a romantic dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 -25 ounces salmon fillets, cut into 4 even pieces,deboned,with skin
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine (such as Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay)
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 2 tablespoons minced dried shallots
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh lavender or 4 sprigs other fresh herbs, to garnish
- 1In a large enough skillet to hold the salmon pieces snugly, but without touching, add all ingredients except the salmon.
- 2Heat the liquid for about 20 minutes, bringing it slowly to just below the boiling point (this is to allow the herbs to steep); poaching liquid should be fairly sweet.
- 3Set the fish pieces skin sides upward into the hot poaching liquid.
- 4If there is not enough liquid to cover the fish, add a bit more water& water in even proportions.
- 5Cook 2-3 minutes, at which point you should be able to use a tongs to peel off the skins easily.
- 6Continue poaching fish 15-20 minutes at high enough heat to keep the water just under a boil, or until fish is cooked to your liking (it should just start to flake when poked with a fork when ready).
- 7Drain and serve garnished with some sprigs of fresh culinary lavender or a sprinkling of any fresh herbs you prefer.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lavender & Herb Poached Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.8
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 72.9 mg
- Sodium 681.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 28.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence