Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
From Muffins & Bakes
- 1⁄2 cup golden superfine sugar, a generous cup (115 g)
- 4 ounces butter, softened (115 g)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon lavender flowers, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour (175 g)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, a cup (150 g)
- lavender flowers
- silver dragees
- Place 12 paper cake cases in a muffin pan.
- Place the superfine sugar and butter in a bowl and cream together until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Stir in the milk, lavender, and vanilla extract, then carefully fold in the flour.
- Divide the mixture among the paper cases and bake in a preheated oven, 400 degrees, for 12-15 minutes, or until well risen and golden.
- The sponge should bounce back when pressed.
- A few minutes before the cakes are ready, sift the confectioners' sugar into a bowl and stir in enough water to make a thick frosting.
- When the fairy cakes are baked, transfer to a wire rack and place a blob of frosting in the center of each one, allowing it to run across the cake.
- Decorate with lavender flowers and silver dragees and serve as soon as the cakes are cool.