Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Another recipe I found while searching for some worthy recipes to use the lavender that my dear friend --Rita-- sent to me recently. She is such a doll! This recipe seems more than worthy! :) Remember to add time for cooling! 4 hours or overnight!
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F Lightly coat 8 (4-ounce) ramekins or shallow fluted dishes with butter and place in a shallow roasting pan; set aside.
- Bring cream and lavender to simmer in medium saucepan on medium heat. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes then strain mixture through fine mesh strainer to get rid of the lavender 'lumps'.
- Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar in large bowl with wire whisk until pale yellow. Can you say Kitchen Aid? lol.
- Gradually whisk in cream mixture and then pour evenly into prepared ramekins. Carefully pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until custards are almost set in center. Let custards completely cool in the water bath before removing.
- Cover each custard with plastic wrap to avoid a film on top and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Sugar Crust: aka FIRE! lol -- Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons of the remaining sugar evenly over each custard. Holding a hand-held torch 4 inches from the sugar, lightly brown the sugar using a slow even motion. Remove the flame just before desired degree of browning is reached, as the sugar will continue to brown for a few seconds.
- Refrigerate creme brulee 30 minutes before serving to allow topping to harden.
- Test Kitchen Tip: Sugar topping can also be browned under a broiler. Place custards on a baking sheet. Broil 6 inches from heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until sugar is melted and golden brown.
- Note: Try ~Rita~'s recipe#101039 for the step above!