Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
This sounds like a lovely dessert! The flavor of lavender is something I have just come to really enjoy, and I look forward to trying this recipe! Prep times are guesstimated, and cook time does not include chill time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons dried lavender
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- Heat oven to 325ºF. Place 4 (6 oz.) ramekins in a shallow roasting pan.
- Place whipping cream and lavender in medium saucepan; bring to a low boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minute.
- Strain into a small bowl, pressing against lavender in strainer with back of a spoon to extract as much flavor as possible. Discard lavender.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and egg. Slowly whisk in sugar.
- Whisk in strained cream and vanilla. Pour into dishes and place in oven. Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come halfway up sides of dishes.
- Bake 40-45 minute Remove from roasting pan with tongs and cool for 1 hour at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate several hours.
- Before serving, heat broiler. Place dishes in same roasting pan. Press brown sugar through strainer over custards to evenly cover. Broil 4-6 inches from heat for 1-2 min or until sugar melts. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.
- NOTE: If using a mini blowtorch to caramelize sugar, use 2-3 teaspoons white sugar to coat tops of each custard instead of brown sugar.