Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
After experimenting with lavender as an ingredient, I thought that it would make a good flavor for a dessert. Cheesecake seemed like a natural fit. I made a lavender syrup to form the basis for the flavoring. Directions for this are included. A byproduct of making the lavender syrup is crystallized lavender buds. These can be used as decorative elements or even eaten as a snack, yum! Also included are directions for frosting and piping. These are optional. I used the frosting because it provides a smoother, higher contrast background for the piping.
- 1 (3 5/8 ounce) package graham crackers
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package lavender (whole buds, not crushed or ground)
- 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup lavender syrup
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup lavender syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- food coloring
- To make crust, crumb the graham crackers.
- Stir in the powdered sugar and butter until well blended.
- Press mixture into 9" springform pan, going halfway up the sides.
- Bake crust at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, let cool before filling.
- To make lavender syrup, mix sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Add lavender to water (you don't need to use the whole package, I used about 3/4 pkg).
- Simmer until you have a heavy syrup (approx reduced by half).
- Remove lavender buds (place buds on a plate to cool and crystallize for use as decoration if desired). You now have the lavender syrup used in later steps.
- To make filling, soften the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl (it helps to remove from refrigerator a little beforehand).
- Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing in well after each addition.
- Mix in sour cream.
- Mix in vanilla and lavender syrup.
- Whisk eggs and yolks in a small bowl.
- Add egg mixture to batter and mix in until just mixed.
- Fold in whipped cream taking care not to over mix.
- Pour into cooled crust.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 225 degrees and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and open oven door slightly, let cool in oven 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the counter 30 minutes.
- At this point it should be cool enough to run a knife around the outside to make sure it has separated from the pan and remove the springform side.
- Leave on pan bottom and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- To make frosting, mix sour cream and sugar, sweetening to taste.
- Spread on top of chilled cheesecake to make a smooth flat surface, quantity of sweetened sour cream may need to be adjusted depending on amount of shrinkage in the middle.
- To make piping, whisk together lavender syrup and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Add lemon juice and water.
- Stir over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Color with food dye to desired shade of purple (or whatever you prefer).
- Let cool before decorating.