Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
Lavender flowers add delicate flavor.
- 10 -12 sprigs fresh lavender, flower stems organic (or dried flower stems)
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks (medium-size eggs)
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Break the lavender flowers off their stems and put them in a saucepan; pour the cream into the pan, then slowly bring almost to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes for the flavor to develop.
- Use a fork to mix the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl; reheat the cream, then gradually mix it into the yolks, stirring constantly.
- Place 6 heatproof 6 ounce ramekins in a roasting pan and strain the custard into the dishes.
- Pour warm water around the dishes to come halfway up the sides; bake in a preheated 350° oven for 20-25 minutes, until the custards are set with a slight softness at the center.
- Leave the dishes to cool in the water, then lift them out and transfer to the refrigerator for 3-4 hours to chill well.
- About 20-30 minutes before serving, sprinkle the custard tops with powdered sugar.
- Caramelize with a blowtorch, then leave at room temperature; decorate with extra lavender stems, if desired.