Recipe by Charlotte J
From the Herb Companion..Scones are delightful whether served for breakfast, as a snack or even for dessert, but they’re exceptionally delicious when laced with lavender and topped with an apricot glaze.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lavender flowers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup apricot preserves, 100-percent-fruit
- 2 tablespoons apple juice or 2 tablespoons orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add walnuts and lavender, mixing until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Add the egg, honey, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir to combine, mixing to form a soft dough.
- With floured hands, pat the dough into a round about 1 inch thick and cut into smaller rounds using a large cookie cutter.
- Place scones on a non-stick cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- To make apricot glaze, combine apricot preserves with juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and spread warm glaze over warm scones before serving.