Recipe by Whisper
I came across this recipe in a little cookbook called Modified 19th Century Recipes by Mary Reid. She has taken old recipes and modified them for 20th century kitchens. I haven't tried this one yet, but it looks intriguing.
- 4 tart apples, in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon lavender flowers (half the amount if dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine apples, lavender, cinnamon and lemon juice in a baking dish.
- Mix apple slices gently to allow them to coat evenly.
- Dot with butter.
- Mix sugars, flour, and baking powder together, then add egg and salt.
- Spread over apple slices.
- Bake at 350 degree F for 40-45 minutes.