A wonderful vanilla based ice cream with lavender, which can be whipped up with ease in an ice cream maker! This ice cream is wonderful served with poached gooseberries and rhubarb, as well as an accompaniment to classic apple pies and crumbles.
- Bring the milk slowly to boiling point in a saucepan.
- Meanwhile, mix together the egg yolks and sugar until thick. Pour into this the hot milk with the vanilla extract, whilst continuously stirring.
- Then pour the mixture back into the pan and heat gently, stirring until the custard thickens - do not boil or it will curdle.
- When you can see a film form over the back of your spoon it's time to remove the saucepan from the heat. Leave to cool.
- When the custard base is cold, stir in the cream and the lavender essence.
- Transfer the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Store in the freezer for up to 2-3 months; bring to room temperature about 5 minutes before serving. Serve with poached gooseberries, rhubarb, apple pies and crumbles.