Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from portuguesecooking.com
Make and share this Lavadores (Washboard Cookies) recipe from Food.com.
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 354.88 ml sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 lemon, grated peel of
- 946.36 ml flour, as needed
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and 1 C of the sugar, about 1 minute.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each, until the batter is fluffy and pale yellow, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in grated lemon peel.
- In a medium bowl, wisk together flour and baking powder.
- Using a wooden spoon, fold the flour into the egg batter.
- Mix well. Gently knead the dough in the bowl for about 5 minutes.
- Place the remaining 1/2 C of sugar in a shallow dish.
- Shape pieces of dough into 1&1/2 inch balls.
- Roll in the sugar and place on parchment-lined or lightly greased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Flatten gently with tines of a fork to make horizontal lines.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a light golden color.
I found this a very easy cookie to prepare .. I am not the best baker, so if it works for me it must be good! Less sweet than I would expect, but DH said it was perfect, and he particularly likes the crispness of these bite-size nibbles.
Thank you Lynn, a lovely tea-time treat, made for PRMR tag game.
I made only one change by accident and that was I added the extra 1/2 cup of sugar in the mix. I still rolled it in sugar but let me say... This was easy and YUMMY!! My son's class will enjoy them for his Country (Portugal) Project.
Excellant! Really loved these cookies. Easy to make and just melt in your mouth good.