1/1 Photo of Laurie Colwin's Nutmeg Cake
1 hr 10 mins
Dona England's Note:
Laurie Colwin's famous nutmeg cake. The technique is a little different. This is a rich cake top over a cookie base. If you don't know Laurie check this out. http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/--esmith/colwin.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Butter the sides only of a 10-inch springform pan.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, cut into 6-8 pieces, with the flour and dark brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour and sugar until the mixture resembles fine meal.
- 4Measure out 2 1/2 cups of this mixture and spread it evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan. With your hand flat, firmly compress the mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- 5Add the spices to the remaining dry ingredients.
- 6Mix well.
- 7In a small bowl stir the egg and yogurt together to mix well.
- 8With a wooden spoon, stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture.
- 9Sprinkle the baking soda over the surface of the batter and gently but thoroughly stir it inches.
- 10Spread this batter over the mixture that was pressed into the bottom of the pan.
- 11With a rubber spatula smooth the top of the batter.
- 12Scatter the walnuts on top.
- 13Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the sides of the cake have shrunk slightly away from the pan.
- 14Cool in the pan, on a rack, for 5 minutes.
- 15Then slide a knife around the edge of the cake to be sure it's not stuck.
- 16Remove the sides of the pan and cool cake completely.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Laurie Colwin's Nutmeg Cake
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.5
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 48.7 mg
- Sodium 227.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 44.0 g
- Protein 5.1 g