Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Smooth and creamy with a hint of sweetness from the onions and broccoli. SUPER good! This is my own tweaked version of Recipe 290602 by chef "Mums the Word".
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 large onions, diced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, separated
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups dry pasta noodles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large casserole dish. Slice mushrooms, separate broccoli, dice onions and cube the raw chicken. Boil the pasta (start next step while it's cooking), drain and set aside.
- Saute chicken and onions in butter with salt until chicken is white, stirring constantly. Sprinkle with lemon juice, add mushrooms and and cook an additional 3 minutes at reduced heat. Transfer chicken and onions to casserole dish, reserving any juices in the frying pan.
- Add flour to the juices in the frying pan, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add cream and salt, bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer to thicken, still whisking. Add 75% of the Swiss cheese, continue to simmer and stir until cheese melts.
- Pour cream sauce over chicken in the casserole dish. Add noodles and broccoli, gently stir to combine. Top with remaining Swiss cheese.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until bubbly throughout.
I just wanted tell you thank you for posting this recipe. It uses most every thing that I have on hand and it is simple and easy to make. But besides this it just tastes so good. I made the recipe as close as possible. I used Monterrey Jack cheese instead of the suggested Swiss cheese as hubby will not eat it or anything that it is in. I did not have fresh lemons so that was omitted. I just seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder before cooking. I served it with a green salad. Hubby loved it and wanted more mushrooms.