Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came up with this dish, but my sister loves it so much that I had to name it for her. Sometimes I saute the rice and vegetables ahead of time to save time at the last minute. I use whole canned tomatoes and don't break them up much, so that my picky hubby can eat around them.
- 1 cup rice
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (cold)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 1⁄2 small carrot, minced
- 1⁄8 cup frozen peas
- Saute rice, onion, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil and butter, stirring until onions are translucent.
- Add remaining ingredient and bring to a gentle boil.
- Cover and simmer 30-35 minutes, or until rice is tender. Don't remove lid until suggested cooking time is over.
puppitypup, we really enjoyed the rice! It could be paired with any protein. We served at a dinner party for 8, so the rating is from the entire group. One man said he could eat this rice EVERY day! It was very easy, too. Next time I would add a bit more peas, but that's personal preference! I might sub corn for the red pepper, too, just to see. It's versitle. I'm sure there's lots one could try! Thanks, Julie!
This was wonderful!! It does look like a long list of ingredients but it is so fast to prepare!! I made as is (but without the carrot and with canned peas)- the time of cooking was less - the rice was cooked within 20 minutes. Thanks puppitypup for a real tasty rice dish!!
Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you off from this one! It comes together very easily and makes a nice side dish. I have never used worcestershire sauce or sugar in my rice and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were! Thank you puppitypup, I'm with Lauren this is great!