Recipe by puppitypup
I came up with this dish, but my sister loves it so much that I had to name it for her. Sometimes I saute the rice and vegetables ahead of time to save time at the last minute. I use whole canned tomatoes and don't break them up much, so that my picky hubby can eat around them.
Top Review by YiayiaMouse
puppitypup, we really enjoyed the rice! It could be paired with any protein. We served at a dinner party for 8, so the rating is from the entire group. One man said he could eat this rice EVERY day! It was very easy, too. Next time I would add a bit more peas, but that's personal preference! I might sub corn for the red pepper, too, just to see. It's versitle. I'm sure there's lots one could try! Thanks, Julie!
- 1 cup rice
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (cold)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 1⁄2 small carrot, minced
- 1⁄8 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute rice, onion, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil and butter, stirring until onions are translucent.
- Add remaining ingredient and bring to a gentle boil.
- Cover and simmer 30-35 minutes, or until rice is tender. Don't remove lid until suggested cooking time is over.