1/2 Photos of Lauren's Mexican Stuffed Red Bell Peppers
1 hr 5 mins
Stuffed with seasoned ground beef, rice, cheese and eggs. Easier because you skip the blanching required in most recipes. I actually use double the fresh garlic listed below, and it's REALLY yummy. If you're not a garlic fanatic, or aren't overly concerned about meeting up with any vampires soon, feel free to leave it out!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon mild california chili powder
- 3 large eggs, scrambled
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees and start the rice cooking (you'll need 2 cups after cooking).
- 2Arrange tomato slices across bottom of large, shallow baking dish; very lightly sprinkle with salt.
- 3Wash bell peppers and cut in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place halves in baking dish so that each sits on a tomato slice; very lightly sprinkle with salt.
- 4Cook the hamburger over med-high heat with 1 tsp salt, onions and garlic; remove grease; add cumin and chili powder.
- 5Cook the eggs (scrambled).
- 6Combine the cooked eggs, cooked rice, cheese and hamburger mixture; spoon into each bell pepper half. (Optional: add an additional coating of cheese on top).
- 7Refrigerate until ready to bake (within 2 days).
- 8When ready to bake, pour 1/2 cup water into bottom of baking pan (don't pour directly onto tomatoes or bell peppers) and then cover entire pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- 9Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lauren's Mexican Stuffed Red Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.4
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 177.2 mg
- Sodium 709.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 32.3 g