I adapted this recipe from the Laurel's kitchen recipe. Not a sweet loaf, if you want to sweeten it up, add 6 tbsp brown sugar instead of the molasses. The original recipe calls for wheat germ, but I substituted ground flax seed for the wheat germ, and reduced the oil called for by half. This makes a nice high loaf in an 8" x 4 1/2" loaf pan.You can substitute any other favourite nut for the cashews.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Grease an 8"x4 1/2" loaf pan.
- 3Mix oil and molasses together.
- 4Beat the large egg and buttermilk together, then add the oil and molasses mixture.
- 5Measure your dry ingredients into a large bowl, and stir them until thoroughly blended.
- 6Chop the cashews coarsely.
- 7Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
- 8Stir just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistene. The mix will be quite moist.
- 9Fold in the chopped nuts reserving a couple of tablespoons for the top.
- 10Put mix in the loaf pan, and sprinkle the reserved nuts on top.
- 11Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Laurel's Kitchen Whole Wheat Quick Bread
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.5
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 12.5 mg
- Sodium 226.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 4.4 g