Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I adapted this recipe from the Laurel's kitchen recipe. Not a sweet loaf, if you want to sweeten it up, add 6 tbsp brown sugar instead of the molasses. The original recipe calls for wheat germ, but I substituted ground flax seed for the wheat germ, and reduced the oil called for by half. This makes a nice high loaf in an 8" x 4 1/2" loaf pan.You can substitute any other favourite nut for the cashews.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease an 8"x4 1/2" loaf pan.
- Mix oil and molasses together.
- Beat the large egg and buttermilk together, then add the oil and molasses mixture.
- Measure your dry ingredients into a large bowl, and stir them until thoroughly blended.
- Chop the cashews coarsely.
- Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Stir just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistene. The mix will be quite moist.
- Fold in the chopped nuts reserving a couple of tablespoons for the top.
- Put mix in the loaf pan, and sprinkle the reserved nuts on top.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.