Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I adapted this recipe from the Laurel's kitchen recipe. Not a sweet loaf, if you want to sweeten it up, add 6 tbsp brown sugar instead of the molasses. The original recipe calls for wheat germ, but I substituted ground flax seed for the wheat germ, and reduced the oil called for by half. This makes a nice high loaf in an 8" x 4 1/2" loaf pan.You can substitute any other favourite nut for the cashews.
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 1⁄4 ounces cashew nuts
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease an 8"x4 1/2" loaf pan.
- Mix oil and molasses together.
- Beat the large egg and buttermilk together, then add the oil and molasses mixture.
- Measure your dry ingredients into a large bowl, and stir them until thoroughly blended.
- Chop the cashews coarsely.
- Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Stir just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistene. The mix will be quite moist.
- Fold in the chopped nuts reserving a couple of tablespoons for the top.
- Put mix in the loaf pan, and sprinkle the reserved nuts on top.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
This is a delicious bread ...:)- I "adapted" some of the "adaptions" just a bit to make it vegan with a rice-milk/lemon juice buttermilk and egg replacers...threw in some lemon zest...a mix of blackstrap and brown sugar splenda (3 and 2Tbs)...love the flax meal...love the cashews:)...gave it a bit of a honeyed milk glaze and topped with more seeds and nuts...DELISH - ToTaLLy my Type of ThinG! -YUM- ...Thanks for a wonderful recipe share :)
So I left out the flax seed and nuts and used 1/4 cup honey instead of the molasses and it came out really good. Definitely made me feel like my decision to stop buying sandwich bread and making my own was the right one.
My family and I really enjoyed this bread. I made it exactly as written. It was nice to serve a good, healthy bread. This was extremely easy, too. Thanks.