1/1 Photo of Laurel's Kitchen Vanilla Pudding
From the New Laurel's Kitchen cookbook-the 1986 edition. Laurel points out that if you wish to use honey in this recipe, depending on which type you use, it may not work as the honey will make the pudding runny. I've learned that the hard way! Furthermore, I have substituted rice milk and soy milk in this pudding recipe. Plans are to try this recipe sometime in the near future using agave nectar instead of brown sugar. (Stay tuned.) Laurel also offers a version with egg, which is the version I use and have always used. The egg is optional, although the pudding will not be as rich tasting. Your call.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml fresh milk (I use whole to make this)
- 59.14 ml brown sugar (non-refined cane sugar="Sucanat") or 59.14 ml non-refined unbleached cane sugar (non-refined cane sugar="Sucanat")
- 0.59 ml salt
- 29.58 ml arrowroot or 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 1 egg, whisked
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- toasted nuts (optional)
- 1Gently heat 1 1/2 cup of the milk in a saucepan or double boiler on medium heat.
- 2Once the milk is very hot but NOT BOILING, stir in the brown sugar and salt.
- 3Whisk together the arrowroot (or cornstarch) and the remaining milk. Add to the saucepan, cooking and stirring constantly over low to medium-low heat until the mixture starts to thickens. Be careful not to burn or scorch the pudding!
- 4In a small heatproof bowl, whisk the egg then gently pour in about 1 cup of the pudding mixture. Whisk quickly to incorporate and to avoid curdling the egg. Add this mixture back to the saucepan and continue stirring constantly until mixture is thickened.
- 5Once thickened, turn off heat and set the pan aside to cool about 15 minutes.
- 6Stir in the vanilla extract.
- 7If desired, top the pudding with toasted nuts for garnish.
- 8Serve warm or cold.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Laurel's Kitchen Vanilla Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.5
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 63.5 mg
- Sodium 154.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 5.6 g