Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I've been cooking by the "eyeball and tastebud" method for so long that I can't share many of my tried and true recipes until I make them and write everything down, which is difficult! Anyway, this is my chili. This is the basic recipe. I add more "hot stuff" for hubby, and also anything that sounds good that I have lying around in the fridge, leftover salsa, etc. This makes a huge batch, I'd say 18-20 servings, but I make it and freeze it, as it freezes up so well. You may want to cut the recipe in half, though. Remember to soak the beans, overnight or quick-soak! Don't worry about the seemingly long list of ingredients, they come together quickly. The fresh lemon juice is imperative after the chili comes off the heat! Adjust the seasonings to your taste and enjoy!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped coarse
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can French onion soup
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, lightly drained
- 1 bell pepper, chopped, any color
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon toasted minced dried onion
- 1 tablespoon toasted minced dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Brown the ground meat, onions and garlic in large stock pot; drain fat.
- Add next 7 ingredients, soaked kidney beans through bell peppers.
- Bring to simmer and add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT lemon juice.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 2-4 hours, until beans are tender and liquid has reduced to make a pleasantly thick chili.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and stir.
- It doesn't hurt to leave this sit for awhile, but it's now ready to serve with a dollop of sour cream and grated cheddar cheese if you like.
- This is even better the next day!