Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is the best that (in over 50 years) I have EVER tasted. Please don't leave out the spices---makes the soup.
- 6 (1828.54 g) can chicken broth or 6 (1828.54 g) can homemade chicken stock
- 5 cooked chicken breasts, chopped into 1 pieces (or use purchased rotisserie chicken)
- 236.59 ml celery, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 473.18 ml carrots, sliced
- 396.89 g can corn, drained
- 4.92 ml dried sage or 9.85 ml fresh sage, minced
- 14.79 ml thyme
- 4.92 ml rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, less stems and chop
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 709.77 ml egg noodles, cooked
- In stock pot, cook onions and celery in olive oil until tender.
- Add 5 cans of chicken broth, carrots, corn and seasonings.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 2 hours.
- Add remaining can of broth, chicken and noodles, stir to combine and cook until noodles are tender.
- Variation: CROCKPOT.
- Lightly spray inside of crock pot with cooking spray.
- Follow instructions above; cooking for 6 hours on LOW or 3 hours on HIGH; add chicken and uncooked noodles and cook on HIGH for 1 ½-2 hours until noodles are tender.
Holy smokes alive, is this one terrific soup/de/la/extraordinaire. And as easy as whistling a tune on a summer day. I had an extra half of a rotisserie chick left over, and this works out to be and amazing taste! I had some corn (frozen) from the summer on the cob, so threw two ears in the broth with chicken and let it cook right along with the sage, rosemary, and thyme. (isn't' there a song like that? :) you need parsley if you are gonna sing the song) I like the fact you have precooked noodles so they don't get overdone. A great taste and wonderful combination for the cold of the winter. Very lovely! Made for *Soups On* Diabetic Forum January 2010
I have to agree - this is one of the best ever chicken noodle soups! I love all the vegetables and herbs in the soup, although I did reduce the amount of thyme and rosemary and omitted the cilantro (for my family's tastes). There was still plenty of flavour. I also added more noodles. Excellent make-again recipe!
This is the perfect soup for my family. I pack it in a thermos for my kids to take to school and it always comes back empty! Thanks so much for a great, straightforward chicken soup!