My friend, Laura, is not eating grain for Lent, but wanted something 'bread-y'. So she made up this recipe: Scrumptious soda bread, with NO GRAIN! Light, fluffy, a bit sweet, but not cake-y, at all. Much better than the stuff made with wheat, actually.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease small casserole (probably 9x11, I didn't measure).
- 2Mix chestnut flour, almond meal, arrowroot powder, sugar, salt, & baking powder.
- 3Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry cutter or 2 knives.
- 4Add currants & stir to coat them. Add caraway seeds, if desired.
- 5Combine buttermilk, egg, & baking soda, and stir into dry mixture, just to combine.
- 6Pour dough into casserole.
- 7Brush top with egg yolk or cream.
- 8Bake 30 minutes, or till knife comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Laura's Scrumptious Wheat-Free Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.2
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 32.2 mg
- Sodium 400.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: