Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is an easy, healthy chili recipe that you can throw in the slow cooker and forget about all day. Great topped with low-fat Cheddar cheese, crushed corn chips, and a dollop of fat-free sour cream. I cut back some on the spice to suit my own taste, but you can add more chili powder, or use chopped tomatoes with chili.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground turkey, 93% lean
- 6 -8 ounces water
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can low-sodium tomato soup
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 8 ounces shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 8 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place turkey in the skillet, and cook until evenly brown. Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray, and scoop turkey in, leaving about 1 tbsp of fat in the skillet. Brown onion in the skillet, 6-8 minutes, then add to slow cooker.
- Mix in water, tomato soup, tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans and corn. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, allspice and salt.
- Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High.
This recipe was easy to make and delicious!! Since my family is not big on spicy food, I did not use as much spice as the recipe called for and it was enjoyed by all. I topped it with mexican mix cheese and sour cream. I look forward to having the leftovers for lunch this week!
My husband made this for us yesterday, and it was pretty tasty - a leaner twist on winter comfort food. He doubled the chili powder and red chile flakes, but I think it still needs some extra zip. I might add some finely diced jalapeno next time. We topped it with shredded cheese and had Mexican cornbread on the side. Yum!
This is the best chili ever!! I used low-sodium beans as well and it tasted wonderful. I will be cooking this all through the winter!