Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Laura Ingalls Wilder's recipe from the Little House on the Prairie cookbook. She wrote in her original recipe, "chocolate frosting adds to the goodness." My children and I agree! This recipe works well with or without the eggs. I tried it both ways--with the eggs gives you a more cake-like texture, without eggs is slightly denser. The results are so similar it was difficult to tell one from the other--wonderful either way!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Blend sugar and shortening in a small bowl; stir in the molasses.
- Measure 1 cup of boiling water in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- Add the baking soda and mix well.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour and the spices.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until cake is done.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Gingerbread is delicious with applesauce, lemon sauce or whipped cream.
- Laura herself liked to add chocolate frosting!
Absolutely scrumptious!!! I have finally found the ultimate gingerbread recipe!!! I must add... I have made this about 5 times now. I tried the choc. frosting last night--I couldn't believe how DELICIOUS it was!!!! It enhances the ginger & is positively scrumptious!!
Very good ginger bread, I would add a bit more of the spices but i like mine a bit spicier.
I believe the cloves overpowered the flavor.