1/2 Photos of Laura's Gingerbread
Laura Ingalls Wilder's recipe from the Little House on the Prairie cookbook. She wrote in her original recipe, "chocolate frosting adds to the goodness." My children and I agree! This recipe works well with or without the eggs. I tried it both ways--with the eggs gives you a more cake-like texture, without eggs is slightly denser. The results are so similar it was difficult to tell one from the other--wonderful either way!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- 3Blend sugar and shortening in a small bowl; stir in the molasses.
- 4Measure 1 cup of boiling water in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- 5Add the baking soda and mix well.
- 6In a large bowl, sift together the flour and the spices.
- 7Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- 8Pour into prepared pan.
- 9Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until cake is done.
- 10Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 11Gingerbread is delicious with applesauce, lemon sauce or whipped cream.
- 12Laura herself liked to add chocolate frosting!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Laura's Gingerbread
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.9
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 253.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 25.0 g
- Protein 3.2 g