Recipe by TaterBug! :)
This is a recipe that I have put together from several sources including my mother. It is my favorite sauce and it goes well with any pasta, even lasagna. Use a good quality wine and good quality sausage. This sauce always tastes better the next day after the flavors mingle over night.
- 3 lbs hot Italian sausage, drained (casings removed, drained)
- 1 large onion, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 tespoon rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- black pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot cook the sausage until brown (on medium high heat), break it up into small pieces as it cooks. (Drain oil from meat).
- Add diced onions and green peppers and cook for another 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Add garlic, all tomatoes, and beef stock.
- Add all spices, brown sugar, and mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil and stir well.
- Add red wine then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer on low for an hour or more. Stir frequently.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste. Add salt with caution as sauce may already have plenty of salt from broth, etc.