Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I invited my mother over for a belated Mother's Day dinner tonight. She had asked for pot pie, and I wanted to make the chicken really tender for her because the has chronic pain in her jaw, similar to arthritis. So, I decided to make some modifications to a Better Homes and Gardens recipe I had for chicken pot pie, and this is what I came up with. It turned out to be some of the best chicken pot pie I've ever made. She took what was leftover home to show it off to all of my family, and I gave her the recipe so she could make it herself.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 16 ounces mixed vegetables (I used an equal mix of corn, peas, carrots, and green beans.)
- 5 tablespoons chicken gravy mix (Sauce Supreme brand, if you can find it.)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Place chicken in crockpot.
- Cover with condensed mushroom soup. (Do not add liquid.).
- Stir to coat chicken. Cook for 3 to 4 hours or until done.
- Cut or shred chicken to desired size.
- Keep in fridge until ready to add to pie filling.
- For crust, combine flour and salt.
- Cut margarine into flour mixture to form coarse crumbs. (I use a sturdy fork to do this.).
- Beat together egg and ice water.
- Add to flour, and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Flatten dough on plastic wrap to fit your pan.
- Chill for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat vegetables and margarine over medium heat.
- Stir in gravy mix and flour.
- Add water and cook until slightly thickened.
- Stir in chicken mixture.
- Pour filling into 9 inch square pan.
- Cover with crust.
- Make a few slits in crust.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.