Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
A basic cookie using natural peanut butter from the Laura Scudder's Peanut Butter people. For Peanut Butter Cookies, omit oatmeal and increase flour to 2 cups.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup natural-style peanut butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In large mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add peanut butter, eggs, vanilla and salt if desired; beat well.
- Add flour, oats and baking soda; mix well.
- Chill until firm, 6 hours or overnight.
- Roll into 1-inch balls; place 2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with fork or glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake in preheated 375° oven 9-10 minutes or until golden. Let stand 2-3 minutes, remove from baking sheet.
- Store covered at room temperature.
We tried these for Pick a Chef '08. We used reg. peanut butter and thought these were a wonderful after school snack. Otherwise, we made them exactly as written. Thanks for sharing.
I found these to be a little blah, and a little dry especially the next day. The guys at Bible study liked them when they were fresh out of the oven. They might be better made with un-natural peanut butter.