I got this recipe from Laura (aka “amorsalado” on LJ), and it’s a great recipe she once cooked that her non-vegetarian husband told her she could make for him anytime. It convinced him of the tastiness of vegetarian food. :) She said, “This General Tso's recipe was what sold him, and it's so easy, too!”
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g seitan, in strips
- 118.29 ml soy sauce
- 118.29 ml distilled white vinegar
- 118.29 ml water
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 1 garlic cloves, minced or 4.92 ml minced garlic, to taste
- 4.92 ml peeled and minced gingerroot
- 4.92 ml cornstarch
- 1 large eggs or 59.14 ml egg white, beaten lightly
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 4 dried hot red chiles, seeded (and veins taken out, if you want extra heat removed)
- cooked rice, for serving
- 1In a bowl combine the soy sauce, vinegar, 1/2 cup water, sugar, garlic, and ginger root.
- 2In another bowl, combine the egg and cornstarch and dip the seitan pieces.
- 3Heat the oil in a wok or deep, heavy skillet until very hot, add the seitan and fry it for 4 to 6 minutes, or until it is crisp-ish. (This was so much better after I finally broke down and bought a wok. It really does make a huge difference!).
- 4Add the soy sauce mixture and the chile peppers and cook the mixture over moderately high heat for 2 minutes, or until heated through. (I usually bring the sauce to a boil after I've poured it on, and then reduce the heat to simmer until it's as thick as I want it. It takes about five minutes, because I like the sauce pretty thick.).
- 5Serve with cooked rice and enjoy!
- 6Laura says: “This is more than enough for the three of us with left overs the next day, and it's really yummy. I'm actually not much of a chef, so I tend to keep it simple and quick.”.
Nutritional Facts for Laura’s General Tso's Seitan
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.5
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 2030.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: