Recipe by scaldwell7
A great family pie. Easy to make, cook and eat--great for when friends drop in. Just add veggies and you are in business. This recipe came from a friend of mine (hence the title).
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 320 g bacon, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 large potato, grated
- salt & pepper, to taste
- mixed herbs, to taste
- parsley, to taste
- tasty cheese, grated
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 kg minced beef
- 1 cube of beef stock melted with hot water
- Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup water, mix together
The Potato Mash
- 6 large potatoes
- 200 ml of cream & 100ml milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- THE BEEF & BACON.
- Sauté the onion and garlic on a low heat until cooked.
- Add bacon and fry (turn up to a medium heat to lightly cook bacon),.
- Remove all ingredients from the pan,.
- Add the mince to the empty pan; cook until browned and liquid has reduced.
- Add the onion, garlic and diced bacon into the pan with the mince. Add the grated carrot, grated potato, mixed herbs, parsley, beef stock with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Add water; mix well and then cook on low heat until liquid has reduced by half.
- Add cornflour and water until sauce thickens. Remove from pan and cool.
- THE POTATO MASH: Cook potatoes and heat milk. Mash all together when potatoes are cooked and nearly falling apart.
- THE PIE:.
- Grease a large semi deep (about 10 - 12 cm deep) baking tray and line with puff pastry . Place beef and bacon mixture (once cool) in tray lined with pastry.
- Cook in oven on 180°C until pastry is lightly browned. Remove from oven.
- Place the potato mash over the mince; smooth out and sprinkle with grated tasty cheese to satisfaction.
- Heat oven to 220°C Place on middle shelf and bake for approximately 20 - 30 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes and then it's ready to be portioned, served and enjoyed.