This one appeared in Neil Gaiman's novel, "American Gods." When Shadow Moon gets out of prison he eats his first meal as a free man at a bar that claims to have the best chili in the state. After a couple mouthfuls he decides that the chili is good, but definitely not the best in the state. He then begins to reminisce about his wife's far superior chili. No recipe was given directly by Gaiman, but many of the the ingredients were mentioned. I took what Neil wrote and expanded upon it to create this recipe. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 lbs lean meat
- 4 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 2 hot peppers, sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- lemon juice
- 1 pinch fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, lean meat in oil for 10 minutes, or until the meat is well browned and the onions are tender.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes with juice, dark beer, wine, tomato paste and beef broth.
- Season with chili powder, cumin, dill, cayenne pepper, coriander and salt.
- Stir in carrots, 2 cans of the beans and hot chile peppers.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir in the 2 remaining cans of beans, and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Top with sour cream and cheese if desired!