1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This is a potato soup to top all potato soups. Thick and creamy, it has the woodsy aroma of wild mushrooms that are enlivened by bacon cracklings and paprika. Serve it with Estonian Barley Skillet Bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ounce imported dried wild mushrooms, well rinsed (such as Polish, porcini, or cepes)
- 5 1/2 cups water
- salt, to taste
- 6 medium size russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 slices bacon, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy cream or 2/3 cup whipping cream
- sweet Hungarian paprika, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh dill (to garnish)
- 1Soak the mushrooms in 1 cup of the water for 2 hours. Drain the mushrooms and strain the liquid through a coffee filter (this is to remove any sand).
- 2In a large soup pot, bring the mushrooms, their soaking liquid, and the remaining water to a boil over high heat.
- 3Add salt, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 4Add the potatoes, increase the heat to medium low, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 5Remove from the heat. With a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms. When they are cool enough to handle, chop them very fine.
- 6Using the slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a food processor. Add 1 cup of the cooking liquid and process until pureed.
- 7Whisk the potatoes back into the cooking liquid in the pot. You will have to stir them thoroughly with a fork or wire whisk until there are no lumps. Set aside.
- 8In a small skillet, sauté the bacon until it renders its fat. Drain off all but 1 Tablespoon of the fat, then add the onion and the mushrooms. Saute, stirring occasionally, over medium high heat until the mixture is well browned, about 15 minutes.
- 9Return the soup to low heat. Add the cream and simmer gently for 2 minutes, until the soup is about to boil.
- 10Stir in the sautéed onion, mushroom, and bacon mixture. Season with a few dashes of paprika and salt and pepper, then simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes. Serve garnished with fresh dill. Serves 6.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Latvian Potato and Wild Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.3
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 39.8 mg
- Sodium 74.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 6.0 g