In Latvian: 'grudenis' or 'zidenis'. Simple and slow food which my grandfather often made on cold winter days. This Latvian traditional recipe is also prepared at celebrations (example, on Metenis) between Christmas and spring. Earlier this porridge was boiled with a pig's head, but nowadays we can replace it with streak of lean or smoked pork. Last time I tried without meat - it was delicious too!
- Soaking the pearl barley. Rinse the pearl barley until the water is clear and leave for at least 12 hours covered with a water.
- Put the pork in the pot, cover with cold water and boil. Add the soaked pearl barley and boil, until the barley becomes soft and tender.
- Clean and crush onion and potato, and add the brewage.
- When pieces of potato come soft, add salt and pounded cumin.
- Serve in a bowl or dish with rye-bread and a glass of buttermilk. If you wish, add sour cream and greens.