My mother-in-law is from Finland. She makes these little crepes for the grandchildren as a treat. They are great when served with sugar, jam or preserves. My husband and I make them with buttermilk, but my MIL uses regular milk. Your choice, depending on the flavor you like the most.
My Private Note
small c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Use a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients.
- 2Beat eggs, sugar and salt together.
- 3Add flour, milk (1% or 2% can also be used) and melted butter.
- 4Beat with whisk or hand mixer until not lumpy.
- 5Adjust the mixture by adding additional milk to thin it. Thinner mixture works better.
- 6You can make the mixture ahead of time and refrigerate; however you will need to add additional milk to thin it for frying.
- 7Heat a non-stick pan at medium-low, add butter to coat the surface; use only enough to coat the pan. (We use a cast-iron mini-round indented pan for ours that acutally came from Sweden - thanks for reminding me to add this!).
- 8While lifting the pan by the handle with one hand, pour some of the mixture onto the frying pan.
- 9Tilt the pan so that the mix coats the surface of the frying pan; return to heat.
- 10Cook until the crepe starts to brown; cook the other side until brown circles start to form.
- 11Move the crepe around the pan to keep the pan greased and remove the crepe.
- 12You can put sugar, jams or preserves onto the crepe and roll up to eat, or just dip and eat off of the plate. Serve with strawberry jam and whipped cream for the traditional Finnish dish.
- 13They don't stay hot for long, so eat up while you can or there won't be any left for you!
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lattyja (Finnish Crepes/Pancakes)
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.6
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 155.7 mg
- Sodium 737.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 11.2 g