Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
Taken from 'Baking and Desserts' cook book - Tasty Tip ; Why not repace the breadcrumbs with the same amount of desiccated coconut.
- 175 g plain flour
- 40 g butter
- 40 g lard (white vegetable fat)
- 225 g golden syrup
- 1 lemon, grated rind and juice
- 75 g white breadcrumbs, fresh
- 1 small egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Make the pastry by placing the flour, butter and white vegetable fat in a food processor. Blend in short sharp bursts until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Remove from the processor and place on a pastry board or in a large bowl.
- Stir in enough cold water to make a dough and knead on a floured surface until smooth and pliable.
- Roll out the pastry and use to line a 20.5 cm loose-bottomed fluted flan dish or tin. reserve the pastry trimmings and decoration. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, place the golden syrup in a saucepan and warm gently with the lemon rind and juice. Tip the breadcrumbs into the pastry case and pour the syrup mixture over the top.
- Roll the pastry trimmings out on a lightly floured surface and cut into 6-8 thin strips. Lightly dampen the pastry edge of the tart, then place the srips across the filling in a lattace pattern. Brush the ends of the strips with water and seal to the edge of the tart. Brush a little beaten egg over the pastry and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the filling is just set. Serve hot or cold.