Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- Grate potatoes and onion. Transfer to colander and squeeze mixture to press out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large bowl, mix egg, salt, pepper, flour and baking powder. Add potato and onions, and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep, heavy skillet.
- Drop about 2 tablespoons of potato mixture into the pan for each pancake. Flatten with back of spoon so each pancake is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter.
- Fry over medium heat for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp. Turn carefully with 2 spatulas so oil does not splatter.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Before frying each new batch, stir potato mixture. If all the oil is absorbed, add a little more to the pan.
- Serve hot with applesauce, or sour cream, or sugar.